It’s that time of the year when we reflect on the past 365 days and begin to dream and set goals for the approaching year. GEMINI has a unique, long-standing tradition of designing our future through a single word. Your Word of the Year, much like a goal, is used to form the year ahead and encourage you to step toward your dreams and ambitions.
This year, I was fortunate enough to interview students from the Academy. Their stories were not only heartwarming but inspirational. I am thrilled to share their stories and I hope it encourages you to pick and share your Word of the Year.
This is Taylor & Kayla. They are sister’s who are taking the Pre-Teen Modelling class together and are the first girls I had the chance to interview. You can tell that they put a lot of time and effort into choosing their Word of the Year and I am so happy that they agreed to share their Word with you.
Taylor B – Tuesday Pre-Teen Modelling Program
Word of the Year: Confidence
- What would you like to accomplish in your life this year?
- This year, I would like to try harder to do more work around the house to help my parents. I would also like to try harder in my classes at school. I would love to do more gymnastics and modeling this year as well and do more sports in school.
- Why did you choose this word? I’ve been struggling in school. I chose this word because I want to try harder in school and boost my self-esteem. I decided to add a photo of a lion to my word because lion’s represent confidence.
- What are some things you can do/say to help you live by your word for the next 365 days? I will try not to get disappointed if I get a bad mark. I will just take it as a sign to work harder. I am also going to put the frame on my bedroom wall so that I can see it everyday.
Kayla B – Tuesday Pre-Teen Modelling Program
Word of the Year: Push
- What would you like to accomplish in your life this year? This year I would really like to help my mother out around the house and excel in school. I also ride horses and would like to start competing in horse shows again.
- Why did you choose this word? I chose this word because it was meaningful to me. It’s easy to say you want to do something then never actually do it – I want to push myself to do more this year.
- What are some things you can do/say to help you live by your word for the next 365 days? To remind myself to do chores, I have decided to leave myself reminders by using sticking notes, a note on my phone or ask my parents to remind me. I am also going to put my frame in my room on my dresser so I will see it every morning. I would really love to continue with riding horses. I think of the word “push” like a door – if there is something you want to achieve on the other side of the door all you have to do is push open the door.
This is McKenna. She was my final interview and I want to thank her for how open and honest her replies were. It was my first opportunity to meet and chat with her. She is an incredibly beautiful and confident girl. I hope that she is able to find a way to see her beauty the way the rest of the world does.
- What would you like to accomplish in your life this year?I’m going into high school beginning of September and I’m really stressed about it. I feel like there is a huge weight on my shoulders waiting to be lifted off. It’s a new chapter, new school, new people and big changes. Going into this new chapter in life I want to have confidence because its definitely something I have been lacking for a quite a while now. I definitely want to walk through those doors on day one ready to learn, ready to accomplish new things and meet new people, but mostly just to have the time of my life. To do that, I am going to need a lot of confidence!
- Why did you choose this word? One of the reasons I chose this word is because for the past three years, I haven’t really liked who I am or the way I look. I’m sick of looking at others and wishing I was more like them. It feels like it’s been forever since I’ve been happy with my body image and accepting myself. I’m sick and tired of not wanting to go swimming because I hate the way my body looks in a bikini. I’m tired of comparing myself to others. I’ve only just told my parents about the way I’ve been feeling and their love and support has helped me a lot too! I know I am beautiful in my own way, it’s just a matter of finding that confidence. To reach the goals I have, I’m going to need as much confidence as I can get and am willing to do whatever it takes to stay confident.
- Another reason I chose this word is to help me get better grades. I’ve been struggling with school for quite a while and a couple of years ago my grades started to go down hill and took all my confidence with them. I get very discouraged when I don’t know an answer to a question when all of my classmates seem to know the answer. It’s been my dream since I was four years old to be a teacher. I know I need a lot of confidence to reach my goals. Confidence is something I am going to keep striving for and doing my best because you can never gain enough confidence. I am excited for the day when I look in the mirror and love what I see or look at a test and be proud of myself!
- What are some things you can do/say to help you live by your word for the next 365 days?One of the things I can do to help me live my word and help me accomplish the things I want to is talk to someone. Whether it is my parents or a friend, they will always say the right things. Sometimes love and support are the best things you can have! Another thing I could do is write out the things I want to accomplish and every time I accomplish something put a really big check beside it. Each time I accomplish something, even the smallest things, that’s a little bit of confidence I’ve gained. Another thing is if I am having a rough day and it’s just one of those days, instead of running up to my room upset thinking I deserve better than this, I can take a step back and tell myself I can be better than this! I am willing to do whatever it takes to reach these goals and to gain confidence. I am ready for the journey that is ahead of me and I’m ready to be more confident. There is going to be challenges but I am ready to take them on and be the best I can be.
Our Staff Word of The Year:
Audrey Wilson – President & CEO
“PURPOSEFUL” – During the upcoming 12 months, I want to be keenly aware that every task I do, job I perform or relationship I build has a “purpose” or meaning. We all live busy lives and often we forget why we do what we do. This year I want every moment and experience to purposeful.
Laurie Cadman – Model Bookings Manager
“Diligence” – To make a constant effort to accomplish what is undertaken; persistent exertion of body and mind. I chose this word to focus on following through and really making sure I’m on track with what I should be doing.
Meaghan Dietrich – Modelling Instructor
“Stride” – To achieve a steady and effective pace in both my work and personal life to allow continuous growth. To take all of life’s ventures in “stride” to enjoy the moments as they are before they pass.
Leah Hall- Office Administration & Blogger
“Bliss” – After a difficult year in 2014, I want to find happiness in everything I do. There are always going to be challenges in life but it’s important to find a silver lining to focus on. In 2015, I want to not only find joy in life but to share it with others.
“Venture” – “a risky or daring undertaking involving uncertainty as to the outcome”. As I approach adulthood, I find myself having to make decisions that will impact my future. I have to venture out into the world, and trust I am on the path I am meant to be on.
“Perseverance” – I have a lot planned for my year so I hope to persevere and keep my focus on the big picture. I won’t let anything come in my way of happiness and success.
I hope this encourages you to chose a Word of the Year. Feel free to share your Word with us at firstname.lastname@example.org.