Celebrating Success – Darren Ross
I am excited to feature one of GEMINI’s Male models, Darren Ross, in this month’s blog. I had the opportunity to talk with him about his recent international booking and part-time modeling career.
1. Tell us about yourself. What do you like to do outside of modeling?
- I work full time as a tool and die maker but when I am not working or Modelling I love playing or watching sports, especially hockey. I also love reading; Stephen King and Dean Koontz are two of my favourite authors. I’m also a bit of a gamer, and enjoy playing the card game ‘Magic, the Gathering’ with friends. I have two children, a 12 year old boy and an 8 year old girl. Skating and sledding or going to the movies are some of the favourite things we like to do as a family.
2. What got you started in modelling and how long have you been modelling for?
- Spring 2010, I found myself unemployed. I spent a lot of time working out and was looking for something new and different. I started by doing a search online and saw that GEMINI was the closest Modelling Agency to me. I did some research and met with Laurie, the Model Booking Manager. She seemed very excited and interested in taking me on as a Model. She asked me to fill out a fact sheet but I chickened out. I am a fairly shy and quiet person, so this was definitely something out of my comfort zone. In November 2010, I finally worked up the courage and have been modelling ever since. Now I am signed with both GEMINI Models and Sherrida Models in Toronto.
- I’ve been lucky enough to have done a lot this past year. I have appeared in many fashion shows including Wedding Dreams, A Blooming Affair, Style in The City, the Fashion Jewellery and Gift Show, and the Human Society Fashion Show. I have also done two commercials. One commercial was for EB Games and I did that the week before Christmas, the second one was for Waterloo Garage Doors. These were my first acting experiences but I really enjoyed them, and wish I would have started acting sooner. I have also done a recent photo shoot in Toronto for a Pharmaceutical Product.
Copy this link into your browser to see two of Darren R’s Recent Commercials:
4. What has been your favourite modeling job so far?
- My absolute favourite job so far was the booking I did in Bermuda for Fairmont Hotel! My Agent in Toronto flew me out there for a week in May, 2012. I was in Bermuda for seven days, six of them were spent doing photo shoots which took up most of the day. A few days we worked 12 to 13 hours but we did have one day off to enjoy the beautiful beach.
Each day we were in a different location shooting a different scene. The photos focused on my ‘stage wife’ and me enjoying all that Bermuda and the Fairmont Hotel had to offer. We took a lot of outdoor shots, which included some of us having lunch and dinner, or just being poolside. We even took a few pictures on a yacht which was pretty exciting. As well, we spent one day in the small town, St. Georges and got to ride on scooters for some of the photos. It was also my very first time on a plane, so that definitely added to my excitement!
5. Sounds like an amazing experience! What have you found to be the most difficult part of Modelling so far?
- When I first started out, I got really anxious before shows. I didn’t have much prior experience so I would get really nervous. Like I mentioned before, I am a fairly shy guy, but I have found that Modelling has really helped me come out of my shell.
6. Can you share with us some of your goals for 2013?
- I really want to keep learning and growing. I am actually taking part time courses at Conestoga College to become a bartender! I think it would be a lot of fun. As far Modeling goes, I want to continue on the road I am headed. I am trying to be my best to stay flexible to accommodate for any last minute bookings.
7. Thank you so much for sharing your story with us. Is there anything you would like to leave us with?
- I’d really love to thank everyone I have worked with. I also want to say a huge thanks to my wife and family for all of their support. They have really been there for me and supported me all the way through my modelling career. I am really grateful for such an amazing wife – I am sure it’s not easy seeing me in pictures with other “stage wives” but she is really supportive, and I really appreciate that.
- Also, I have learned that if you have a goal, if you are able to set your mind on it you can accomplish it. Most people I meet are shocked that I am a Model because I am such a shy person, which just goes to show that if you are able to set your mind on something, it can become a reality. I really hope to continue to grow and learn. I am excited for all of the new adventures that life will bring me.
Here are some photos from the recent work Darren has done! Thanks again to Darren for sharing your story with us!